Welcome to Stonor - one of England’s oldest manor houses, situated in one of the most beautiful settings, owned by the same family of the same faith for 850 years.
Built from c.1190 and constructed over centuries, the house is of considerable architectural interest and contains a remarkable collection of Old Master Paintings, European sculptures, stained glass and contemporary ceramics from Japan, Korea and Europe.
The medieval Catholic Chapel is built on the site of pagan place of worship and dates from the late 13th or early 14th Century. The Chapel was used throughout the years of Catholic repression and continues to be used regularly to this day. Stonor gave sanctuary to St. Edmund Campion in 1581, and an exhibition features his life and work.
The Chapel is currently undergoing essential restoration works to re-tile the Chapel and clock tower roofs and renew the rain water drainage. The restoration work will faithfully replicate or re-use exisitng materials to secure a water tight envelope for the building, protecting it from damage and ensuring the Chapel's continued use as a Catholic place of worship for future generations. The project is being supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund and other generous grant giving charities. The Chapel will be closed during the restoration works with Mass being celebrated in the house.
The Walled Garden
The garden rises up behind the ancient house and is divided between the original pleasure garden and the old kitchen garden. The garden cleverly combines formal design with informal planting. In spring, daffodils, narcissi, iris and tulips abound. During the summer you will see old fashioned roses, peonies and lavender in flower. Climbing the terrace there is a long mixed border ending with a Japanese garden house, built by the 5th Lord Camoys after his visit to Kyoto in 1906.
One of the finest views of the house can be found from the footpath that runs through the park. From here you can see over the house to the gardens beyond. Watch the Red Kites soar and swirl above and look out for the herd of Fallow Deer.
The House, Chapel, Garden, Old Hall Tea Room & Gift Shop are open from April to the end of September. The Park is open by way of a public footpath throughout the year.